Sunday, April 13, 2008

{an unlikely hero}

…..but first a history lesson. In the year 2001, George & Gina were married thereby merging their powerful sovereignties. This merger resulted in many people living in an itty-bitty kingdom. “Why must we suffer so?” the queen would often inquire. “Aaahh, but to suffer makes the inner soul grow stronger” the king would reply. He was consequently demoted to jester as his comment resulted in my hearty laughter. See even my fairy tale history lessons are a tad twisted!!

What was really going on was this. We got married and moved into his teeny-weeny 2 bedroom 1 bathroom ranch house.

Was there a basement to which we could banish the children? NO.

Was the one bathroom spacious enough to house 6 people attempting to get ready for church? I DON’T THINK SO.

Was there enough privacy for a hard-working English teacher to put her make-up on and make it to her first period class? I THINK NOT.

Quite often, my make-up session would be interrupted by two boys playing Light Saber with their pee streams. Trust me, this is a true story.

I did manage to handle all of the shortcomings of the teeny-weeny house because, well frankly, I was madly in love! However, there was one bathroom shortcoming which I found completely intolerable. And that is why this is my new hero.




We literally had to take four minute showers in order not to run out of hot water. It was enough to bring this hot shower lovin’ woman’s tolerance to a shrieking halt. The following are some of the comments that really did escape my mouth during those harsh years of the itty bitty water heater.

“Ummm, what do you mean we’re out of hot water? You just got in!!
I’m going first from now on AND YOU’RE GETTING YOUR BUTT TO HOME DEPOT AND GETTING A BIGGER WATER HEATER!!!!”

“I don’t care if you have soap in your eyes, turn the water off!”

“I’m flipping the 3 minute hourglass timer RIGHT NOW!”

OH and this is me at my best:

“If we run out of hot water before I get in, you’re all taking showers in the back yard with the hose tomorrow!”

Whew, I’m startin’ to get the sweats from these flashbacks! Let us concentrate on my much happier current life.

Today:
Four mini hot water hogs took four sweltering showers AND YES, amazingly, I still had enough hot water left for my luxurious, uninterrupted (not really, but I can hope) 15 minute steamy shower!

I love my hero!

3 comments:

Jen Bay said...

really, it's the simple pleasures, isn't it...

Anonymous said...

Girl, you crack my **butt** up. Oh, can I swear on here?

Frenchgeorgia@gmail.com said...

No you can't!! You've been censored!