Friday, March 28, 2008

{internal voices}

7:50 Blinded by the sun shining through the curtainless window bouncing off the full length mirror inside my walk-in closet.
Internal Voice (IV for short): I really should get a curtain or maybe I’ll just tactfully tack a nice dark sheet up there until I can decide what color I want this room.

8:00 Pull the covers over my head.
IV: Wow, it’s hot under here. But it is still Friday, I have no children so I should be able to guiltlessly sleep-in, right?

8:05 FIRE CALL!!!! I lay there and listen to the tones and giggle as George groggily tumbles out of bed and attempts to get dressed.
IV: I really wish he would bring his fire gear home…it sure would be more exciting to see him put those on instead of jeans!

8:25 While still in bed, I learn that the fire call is a false alarm and the Richmond Village Hall isn’t really burning to the ground. Shoot! Poor Georgie, he’ll be disappointed. He loves fires!
IV: Maybe you should surprise him with breakfast…that’ll make him feel better.
IV#2: Buuuuuttt I have no children to be responsible for!

8:35 OK, OK I’ll get up! But reluctantly!
IV: Now go make a nice big breakfast & he’ll be soooooo happy!

I make my way downstairs carefully….don’t want any splinters! I open the fridge and because I have a self-diagnosed case of ADD, I am distracted by the containers of left-overs that have by now undoubtedly gone shopping for new furs. So what do I do? I start cleaning out the fridge.
IV: Hey, this is great! I’ll get the fridge cleaned out and wiped down and it will be all sparkly & clean to put nice new groceries into.

8:57 Since no one is around some of my IV’s are having a conversation!
IV#1: Why did he put the whole pot of soup into the fridge? Why couldn’t he separate it into nice little containers?
IV#2: Wow, it sure is a nice pot though! (It’s my Calphalon Soup Pot that I got for my bday.)
IV#1: You really should take the pot out and separate it into little containers.
IV#2: Yeah, then you can make more soup in the really nice pot!
IV#3: I really don’t think you should hold it with one hand! Grab it with both hands! You’re making me very nervous.
ME out loud: OK, just slide over and I’ll pull you right out………..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
IV #3: Told you!

This is what it looks like when you drop almost 5 quarts of Italian Wedding Soup!








9:01 George walks through the door. His voice: Wow!! That’s a big mess. Did the lid break?
IV#4: NO, BUT IT MIGHT WHEN I THROW IT AT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!


10:32 Finally finished cleaning up the mess. I actually had to use Q-tips to clean the itty, bitty pastina out of the crevices of the fridge. I was really grateful for the dogs as they licked most of the mess right up!

And yes, after all that, I did make breakfast for my Hunka, hunka burning (not so much today) love!!!


3 comments:

Jen Bay said...

So sad that all the soup is gone..... sadder still that you had to clean up the mess....

Amber said...

Ugh! I'm so sorry you had to do that. At least you had the dogs to help you! Love the new blog by the way!

TheReg said...

So do the dogs have slivers in their tongues now and tomorrow you will wake up and IVi will say, "I really should take the dogs to the vet so they won't keep walking around the house with their tongues hanging out the sides of their mouths as if they were paralized"? And, you know, Vince has a shirt that says, "I know the voices aren't real, but they have some pretty good ideas." Should I track one down for you? No, wait, you don't listen to them and hence the reason the dogs' tongues are paralized to begin with!